Advocacy ServicesWe are currently providing:
- We offer Advocacy to people with Learning Disabilities in the City. This includes both the provision of Care Act and Generic Independent Advocacy.
- We offer a non-instructed Advocacy Service to disabled children who mainly use residential care for respite; this is a contract funded by the Children’s Rights Service in the County.
- We are working with Maplewell Hall School to provide a service to help young people develop Self Advocacy skills.
- We are also able to offer a one to one advocacy service to disabled people funded by other local authorities on a spot purchase basis.
It is important to think of advocacy as a ‘process’ with a number of different methods that can be used in that process. The definition of advocacy (agreed by the Network of Advocacy Projects in Leicester and Leicestershire) is:
‘Advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and justice by empowering people. It enables people to express their personal views and needs, thereby achieving their rights and entitlements. It also assists people in securing relevant information and knowledge, enabling them to make informed choices’
There are a number of methods by which advocacy can be delivered:
- Independent or one to one Advocacy (which mosaic uses most often)
- Non-instructed Advocacy (another method frequently used by mosaic)
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards or DoLS (mosaic, Just Services, Age Concern, Alzheimer’s Society and POhWER do most of this work in Leicester and Leicestershire)
- Watching Brief (another method used by mosaic, especially in the residential service)
- Group Advocacy (which mosaic also uses)
- Legal Advocacy
- Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (POhWER holds this contract for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland)
- Independent Mental Health Advocacy (contract held by LAMP)
- Self Advocacy Groups (Self Advocacy in Action does a lot of this work in Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland)
- Peer Advocacy (used a lot by LAMP)
- Volunteer Advocacy (used in AgeUK)
- Citizen Advocacy
This is not an exclusive list of organisations that use these forms of advocacy.